What is post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation?

Audrey Kunin, MD
Dermatology
I lost count long ago of the number of acne patients returning for their initial 6 to 8 week follow-up concerned about their new acne scars, when, in actuality, there wasn't a scar in site. What they were really noticing was color change. This post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH) is not an acne scar. It is the normal remnant of the skin's inflammatory process.

For those with pale skin tones, this aftermath color change is usually pink, red or purple in color. Patients with darker skin tones may notice brown or black spots where their acne once was.

Continue Learning about Skin Discoloration

How can I reduce the appearance of brown spots on my skin?
Jordana Gilman, MDJordana Gilman, MD
There are two effective ways to banish brown spots on skin --  and one of them has added benefits ...
What are treatments for hyperpigmentation?
The problem of hyperpigmentation is a common, and quite irksome, frustration for many women of diffe...
How Can I Reduce the Appearance of Brown Spots On My Skin?
How Can I Treat Brown Spots Myself?
How Can I Treat Brown Spots Myself?