What causes dark underarm skin?

Audrey Kunin, MD
Dermatology
It is incredible how common and how embarrassing underarm skin discoloration is, especially for those with naturally deeper skin tones. Causes include eczema, irritating ingredients found in deodorants and antiperspirants, a predilection to eczema or diabetes (acanthosis nigricans), as well as friction triggered by movement and activity. No matter the cause, ultimately inflammation leads to the development of skin discoloration. Make certain your antiperspirant is a water-based roll-on free of fragrance and dyes.

Continue Learning about Skin Discoloration

How can I get rid of liver spots on my skin?
Audrey Kunin, MDAudrey Kunin, MD
Years of unprotected sun exposure lead to over-productive pigment-producing skin cells (melanocytes)...
What causes the brown spots on my skin?
YouBeautyYouBeauty
Brown sun spots are a form of hyperpigmentation. “Hyperpigmentation is the darkening of the skin cau...
What Are Some Treatments for Age Spots?
What Are Some Treatments for Age Spots?
How Can I Treat Brown Spots Myself?
How Can I Treat Brown Spots Myself?