What causes dark underarm skin?

Audrey Kunin, MD
Dermatology
It is incredible how common and how embarrassing underarm skin discoloration is, especially for those with naturally deeper skin tones. Causes include eczema, irritating ingredients found in deodorants and antiperspirants, a predilection to eczema or diabetes (acanthosis nigricans), as well as friction triggered by movement and activity. No matter the cause, ultimately inflammation leads to the development of skin discoloration. Make certain your antiperspirant is a water-based roll-on free of fragrance and dyes.

Continue Learning about Skin Discoloration

What do liver spots look like?
Ben KaminskyBen Kaminsky
Liver spots are sharply defined, round or oval, brown or black flat patches of skin most commonl...
What are treatments for hyperpigmentation?
The problem of hyperpigmentation is a common, and quite irksome, frustration for many women of diffe...
How Can I Treat Brown Spots Myself?
How Can I Treat Brown Spots Myself?
How Can I Reduce the Appearance of Brown Spots On My Skin?