What are treatments for hyperpigmentation?

The problem of hyperpigmentation is a common, and quite irksome, frustration for many women of difference races. The most effective bleaching agent is hydroquinone, which is available in both 2 percent over the counter and 4 percent prescription strengths. Other options include arbutin, licorice extract, and kojic acid (but I have never seen great results from these). During pregnancy, azaleic acid is a milder alternative; it’s also good for fighting acne during those nine months. Whatever you try, nothing will work for long if you don’t faithfully use a broad spectrum, high SPF sunscreen to keep additional melanin production at bay.

From The Mind-Beauty Connection: 9 Days to Less Stress, Gorgeous Skin, and a Whole New You by Amy Wechsler.

Continue Learning about Skin Discoloration

What could cause white spots all over my body?
Jeffrey A. Benabio, MDJeffrey A. Benabio, MD
There are many causes for white spots. Here are 3 common ones:Vitiligo is a common skin disease that...
How can I prevent red spots on my face?
YouBeautyYouBeauty
“Avoid tanning salons, saunas and other activities that cause blood to rush to the face,” says David...
What Are Some Treatments for Age Spots?
What Are Some Treatments for Age Spots?
How Can I Reduce the Appearance of Brown Spots On My Skin?