How can I get rid of post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation?

Audrey Kunin, MD
Dermatology
Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH) can fade unassisted, usually within 6-12 months. Unfortunately, the darker the PIH, the longer it may take to resolve. It may also require some intervention in order to hasten the process. While PIH is not a true scar, when it lasts past a year, it certainly may feel "permanent." For areas that are brown in nature, the use of a skin bleaching agent can be very helpful in speeding up the clearing process. Both prescription and over-the-counter options can be effective. Sun avoidance is crucial as ultraviolet light will darken the skin, preferentially darkening areas of abnormal discoloration. Sun protection prevents this process, allowing bleaching treatments to work without interruption.

Continue Learning about Skin Discoloration

How can I get rid of skin discoloration after acne?
YouBeautyYouBeauty
Consistent, daily (not just when you remember!) use of treatment products is key to scoring visible ...
What can I do to correct uneven skin tone or discoloration on my face?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
To correct uneven skin tone or discoloration on your face, there are both OTC and prescription solut...
What Are Some Treatments for Age Spots?
What Are Some Treatments for Age Spots?
How Can I Reduce the Appearance of Brown Spots On My Skin?