How can I get rid of skin discoloration after acne?

Consistent, daily (not just when you remember!) use of treatment products is key to scoring visible improvement of skin discoloration following acne. The combination of daily sunscreen with topical creams that contain hydroquinone, tretinoin, corticosteroids, glycolic acid or azelaic acid can reap substantial results, David Bank, MD, president of the New York State Society for Dermatology and Dermatologic Surgery, told us.

In-office procedures vary by the depth and amount of pigmentation area targeted, and can include lasers like Vbeam ($500-$1500), Fraxel ($500-$1500), Alex TriVantage ($350-$500), Clear and Brilliant ($500), microdermabrasion ($100-$250) and medical-strength bleaching pads, say the experts.

Continue Learning about Skin Discoloration

What is post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation?
Audrey Kunin, MDAudrey Kunin, MD
I lost count long ago of the number of acne patients returning for their initial 6 to 8 week fol...
Should I be worried about a new brown spot on my skin?
Although melanoma may begin in or around a pre-existing mole, it often appears without warning o...
How Can I Reduce the Appearance of Brown Spots On My Skin?
How Can I Treat Brown Spots Myself?
How Can I Treat Brown Spots Myself?