What are “age spots?"

So-called age spots are one consequence of long-term overexposure to the sun, even with no past sunburns.  Watch the animation to learn more about protecting your skin from the sun.

Age spots, also called liver spots or lentigines, are brown, flat spots on the skin that are usually harmless. Some might look like a melanoma and need to be evaluated by a doctor. The brown spots usually develop slowly over years of exposure to the sun, but they may develop faster without sunscreen. They commonly develop on areas of high sun exposure, such as the face, hands, feet, and back.

Use a sunscreen and wear protective clothing to safeguard your skin from the sun’s harmful rays.

Continue Learning about Skin Discoloration

How can I get rid of red spots on my face?
YouBeautyYouBeauty
The Vbeam ($500) is today’s standard laser treatment for red spots on the face, says L’Oreal Paris C...
What can I do to correct uneven skin tone or discoloration on my face?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
To correct uneven skin tone or discoloration on your face, there are both OTC and prescription solut...
How Can I Reduce the Appearance of Brown Spots On My Skin?
What Are Some Treatments for Age Spots?
What Are Some Treatments for Age Spots?