When should I begin exfoliating?

Exfoliation is something you want to do starting in your teens, and for sure by your twenties and thirties. By the time you reach your thirties, your skin begins to thin and becomes even more vulnerable to the environment. At the same time, the natural enzymes in your skin begin to work less effectively at removing dead skin cells so they hang on and prevent your skin from reflecting light. The result? You look ashy and gray. While you can certainly test this in your twenties, you may want to consider scheduling a mild peel or microdermabrasion once a month when you reach your thirties. Then, in your forties, it may be time to bump up the frequency to twice a month. It will all depend on your individual skin type and texture. If exfoliation makes your skin irritated and red, don’t do it as frequently or lighten up on the harshness of your methods. Remember, if you overtreat and irritate your skin, you could be setting yourself up for more skin problems.

From The Mind-Beauty Connection: 9 Days to Less Stress, Gorgeous Skin, and a Whole New You by Amy Wechsler.

Continue Learning about Skin Cleansing

Should I change my cleanser depending on the season?
Debra Jaliman, MDDebra Jaliman, MD
You should change your facial cleanser with the seasons; in winter you should to use a milder cleans...
What kind of soap should I use to wash infected skin?
If your skin is infected, see your dermatologist, and ask about the best way to wash your skin. ...
What is the health benefit of having a bidet?
Besides Pilates, the best thing you can do for your bottom is to install a bidet. Why? If you accide...
What Are the Health Benefits of Baths?
What Are the Health Benefits of Baths?