What type of soap do I need to use for my skin?

Dr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Dermatology
Some bar soaps have stronger detergents than others or higher concentrations of surfactants. All of them, including liquid body washes, include at least one surfactant, preservatives, emulsifiers, moisturizing agents, and probably a fragrance. If you have sensitive skin (if you have eczema or psoriasis, for instance), you should avoid synthetic fragrances and harsh detergents. Stay away from antibacterial or deodorant soaps too, since your skin may be intolerant to the added chemicals in them.
Antibacterial soaps are very effective in fighting folliculitis or back acne, but they are extremely drying. You might want to use it every other day. To cleanse dry skin, remember that liquid soaps aren't necessarily gentler or more moisturizing. Liquid is simply the vehicle. Some bar soaps provide the waxy emollients your skin needs to prevent more flaking and dryness. Look for the same emollient ingredients that would be present in a rich facial moisturizer.

Simple Skin Beauty: Every Woman's Guide to a Lifetime of Healthy, Gorgeous Skin

Continue Learning about Skin Cleansing

How should I exfoliate safely?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Whether you use a chemical or mechanical exfoliant or one that incorporates both, be careful to appl...
How should postmenopausal women cleanse their skin?
Harsh soaps can strip the skin of necessary moisture and potentially damage the lipid barrier that h...
How do I give myself a "Do-It-Yourself" facial?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
For those on a budget, you can attempt a basic facial in your own home. Gather a towel, bowl, water,...
What Are the Health Benefits of Baths?
What Are the Health Benefits of Baths?