What is hand hygiene?

Keeping hands clean through improved hand hygiene is one of the most important steps we can take to avoid getting sick and spreading germs to others. Many diseases and conditions are spread by not washing hands with soap and clean running water. If clean running water is not accessible, as is common in many parts of the world, use soap and available water. If soap and water are unavailable, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol to clean hands.
Hand hygiene involves keeping your hands as clean as possible, since your hands are the most common way that germs enter the body. Watch as pediatrician Lisa Thornton, MD, explains the best way to wash your hands and use hand sanitizing products. 

Continue Learning about Skin Cleansing

What temperature water should I use to wash my hands?
Patricia Farris, MDPatricia Farris, MD
You should always wash your hands using warm water. Very hot water will strip the skin of surface oi...
How should I exfoliate safely?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Whether you use a chemical or mechanical exfoliant or one that incorporates both, be careful to appl...
What temperature of water should I use to wash my face?
Using warm water is best. Extremely hot water can dry out your skin. 
What Are the Health Benefits of Baths?
What Are the Health Benefits of Baths?