Is a body scrub something I need to use in the shower once a week?

Dr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Dermatology
"Need" is the key word here. A body scrub can feel luxurious, smell delicious, and leave your skin smooth and moisturized. But in all honesty, a nubby washcloth and soap do just as well at exfoliating and cleansing. Often body scrubs contain both mechanical and chemical exfoliants, and because they are meant to work on tougher skin (not on your face or neck), they may be severe or irritating (most are quite oily too). If you have a scratch or any irritation, or even if you've just shaved your legs, a body scrub (especially one with fruit enzymes or acids) can burn or sting like crazy. If you want to use a scrub, don't rub it on too aggressively, and use it no more than once a week. Even if your skin can tolerate it initially, scrubbing too often can eventually leave it inflamed.
Simple Skin Beauty: Every Woman's Guide to a Lifetime of Healthy, Gorgeous Skin

What if a leading dermatologist just happened to be your best friend and you could ask her anything? DR. ELLEN MARMUR, a world-renowned New York City dermatologist, answers all your questions with...

Continue Learning about Skin Cleansing

Should skin feel tight and scrubbed in order for it to be truly clean?
No, this is a myth. That tightness is usually related to the removal of essential oils and the prese...
If I have normal type skin, how often should I wash my face?
Unless you have oily skin, you should not wash your face more than once a day with a mild cleanser. ...
What does a mild cleanser do?
A mild cleanser helps to preserve skin's natural components, proteins and lipids. These essential bu...
What Are the Health Benefits of Baths?
What Are the Health Benefits of Baths?