How should I wash my feet?

Make a point to wash your feet (and between your toes) with a washcloth carefully and regularly. That means bending over in the shower to soap them up; if you can't balance safely, use a long-handled shower brush or sit on a chair outside the tub as you wash your feet under the faucets. Be sure to dry feet completely, including between the toes. This wash-and-dry system lessens problems such as athlete's foot, odor, bacteria and fungus.

If you like to soak your feet, forget the Epsom salts -- they're too drying and don't offer any medical benefit. Instead, just use warm (never hot) water and a little liquid soap, such as dishwashing solution, containing skin softeners.

Moisturize your feet after washing. During dry-skin winter months, you may want to moisturize several times a day. Nothing fancy is needed: basic lotions and creams are fine.

Continue Learning about Skin Cleansing

Is there an alternative to harsh acids or scrubs for my body?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Scrubbing can aggravate rosacea or a painfully dry complexion. And because acids work by temporarily...
How do I give myself a "Do-It-Yourself" facial?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
For those on a budget, you can attempt a basic facial in your own home. Gather a towel, bowl, water,...
What's the best amount of time to spend in the shower?
Long showers can rid skin of essential natural oils, so it's better to take shorter ones. If you hav...
What Are the Health Benefits of Baths?
What Are the Health Benefits of Baths?