How should postmenopausal women cleanse their skin?

Harsh soaps can strip the skin of necessary moisture and potentially damage the lipid barrier that helps skin stay hydrated. During menopause, the steep decline in estrogen levels can affect skin's lipid levels by disrupting the lipid barrier, increasing trans epidermal water loss and leading to skin that is at higher risk for drying. Therefore, mild cleansing products that are not overly drying are advised, especially for postmenopausal skin.

Continue Learning about Skin Cleansing

How do power facial cleansers help my skin look younger?
Debra Jaliman, MDDebra Jaliman, MD
Power facial cleansers can help you look younger by increasing exfoliation and gently removing more ...
How does a facial cleanser work on the skin?
James M.. WilmottJames M.. Wilmott
When cleansing skin, the trick is to remove the offending dirt and sebum but without disturbing the ...
What ingredients should I avoid in a skin cream?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
When choosing a skin cream, you should look for one that is fragrance free. Scented lotions are more...
What Are the Health Benefits of Baths?
What Are the Health Benefits of Baths?