How should postmenopausal women cleanse their skin?

Harsh soaps can strip the skin of necessary moisture and potentially damage the lipid barrier that helps skin stay hydrated. During menopause, the steep decline in estrogen levels can affect skin's lipid levels by disrupting the lipid barrier, increasing trans epidermal water loss and leading to skin that is at higher risk for drying. Therefore, mild cleansing products that are not overly drying are advised, especially for postmenopausal skin.

Continue Learning about Skin Cleansing

Should I steam my skin to open up the pores?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Deep cleaning doesn't happen, and a pore doesn't open and close like a valve. That being said, steam...
What temperature of water should I use to wash my face?
Using warm water is best. Extremely hot water can dry out your skin. 
Should I change my cleanser depending on the season?
Debra Jaliman, MDDebra Jaliman, MD
You should change your facial cleanser with the seasons; in winter you should to use a milder cleans...
What Are the Health Benefits of Baths?
What Are the Health Benefits of Baths?