Is taking long, hot baths or showers a good idea in the winter?

When it's cold out, you might be tempted to relax in a hot bath, but this can cause irritated skin harm. Hot water strips the necessary oils from your skin, and if your skin is dry, you want as much moisture as possible. You don't need to eliminate the bath altogether, but help your dry skin heal by keeping your showers and baths short and using lukewarm water instead of hot. When you get out of the tub, pat yourself dry instead of rubbing.

Continue Learning about Skin Cleansing

What is instant hand sanitizer?
Susan EvansSusan Evans
In simple terms, instant hand sanitizer is alcohol and it is meant to kill germs when soap and water...
How can I wash my face on the go?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
Make some “emergency cloths” by saturating soft washcloths with a combination of a non-rinse cleanse...
Do genetically customized skin cleansers really work?
The jury's still out on whether getting a DNA test is a foolproof way to get the right cleanser for ...
What Are the Health Benefits of Baths?
What Are the Health Benefits of Baths?