What is soap?

Soap is a skin care product that is used for cleaning the body. When combined with water, soap removes dirt, oil, and other materials from the skin. According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), a true soap is made only of fats and an alkali (a form of salt). Most products we commonly think of as soap today contain synthetic, or man-made, ingredients.
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Dermatology

Soap is a salt of a fatty acid, made from vegetable oils or butters (such as palm or coconut) or animal fat ingredients (such as lard) and an alkali salt (lye or sodium hydroxide). Often you will see the term "sodium cocoate" on a soap, which is the mix of sodium hydroxide and coconut oil. "Sodium tallowate" is the combination of sodium hydroxide and animal fat. True soaps can be drying and irritating to skin.

Simple Skin Beauty: Every Woman's Guide to a Lifetime of Healthy, Gorgeous Skin

What if a leading dermatologist just happened to be your best friend and you could ask her anything? DR. ELLEN MARMUR, a world-renowned New York City dermatologist, answers all your questions with...

Continue Learning about Skin Cleansing Soaps

FDA Bans Antibacterial Soaps
FDA Bans Antibacterial Soaps
Think antibacterial hand soap is the best way to suds up? You may want to think again. Nineteen ingredients in over-the-counter antibacterial soaps, i...
Why should I not use soap on my face?
James M.. WilmottJames M.. Wilmott
You should avoid soap on your face because it is a harsh surfactant which indiscriminately removes g...
What is saponification?
Saponification is another name for the soap making process that occurs when a fat is broken down aft...
Why can't I use one soap for everything?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
There are soaps that clean your body, face and hair, but they tend to be harsh and can dry out your ...