What is a surfactant?

Surfactants are the ingredients in soap that actually allow water to rinse away the oil and dirt from your skin.

Dr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Dermatology
Every cleanser contains a surfactant, which emulsifies and washes debris and oil from the skin. This may seem obvious, but their names are not. Sodium lauryl sulfate is a stronger detergent and sodium cocyl isethionate is mild. We've always heard that the more cleanser foams, the more drying it will be, and that's partially true, primarily because it likely contains a larger quantity of detergent. It's not just the surfactant that makes a cleanser extra-drying, it's also the other active and inactive ingredients in the vehicle. And often there may be more than one kind of surfactant in a single cleanser. So keep in mind that a cleanser containing a gentle cleansing agent may still dry out your skin if it also includes salicylic acid or alcohol. 
Simple Skin Beauty: Every Woman's Guide to a Lifetime of Healthy, Gorgeous Skin

What if a leading dermatologist just happened to be your best friend and you could ask her anything? DR. ELLEN MARMUR, a world-renowned New York City dermatologist, answers all your questions with...

Continue Learning about Skin Cleansing Soaps

FDA Bans Antibacterial Soaps
FDA Bans Antibacterial Soaps
Think antibacterial hand soap is the best way to suds up? You may want to think again. Nineteen ingredients in over-the-counter antibacterial soaps, i...
Is natural soap really natural?
Arthur W. Perry, MDArthur W. Perry, MD
Have you heard the ads for "natural soap?" Do you think that's possible? Well, I've never seen a soa...
Why should I not use soap on my face?
James M.. WilmottJames M.. Wilmott
You should avoid soap on your face because it is a harsh surfactant which indiscriminately removes g...
Is washing with soap better than using hand sanitizer?
A better way to look at this is when is soap and water better than hand sanitizer? Anytime there...