Can soaps cause my skin to itch?

Soaps can cause your skin to itch. Using a very strong soap can cause your skin to react to the foreign material.

In addition, if you do not wash all of the soap off of your body after a bath or shower, the remnants can cake on your skin and cause irritation. Soaps can also dry out your skin, so be sure to use a moisturizer after washing. Laundry detergent, as well, can cause your skin to break out through contact with your clothes. Use a mild detergent or set your clothes on an extra rinse cycle.

Continue Learning about Skin Cleansing Soaps

You Don’t Need Antibacterial Soaps to Keep Your Hands Clean
Think antibacterial hand soap is the best way to lather up? You might want to think again—especially since handwashing is a key way to protect yoursel...
Is natural soap really natural?
Arthur W. Perry, MDArthur W. Perry, MD
Have you heard the ads for "natural soap?" Do you think that's possible? Well, I've never seen a soa...
Is it ok to use soap to wash your face?
Traditional soaps can contain harsh ingredients that strip your skin of its natural moisture. If you...
What are some common conditions that bubble baths can cause?
Depending on the ingredients of the bubble bath solution and the quantity being used, it's quite pos...