Is natural soap really natural?

Arthur W. Perry, MD
Plastic Surgery
Have you heard the ads for "natural soap?" Do you think that's possible? Well, I've never seen a soap tree or visited a soap mine. In fact, they don't exist. And soap doesn't exist in nature. All soap is made in a laboratory - or a kitchen. Soap comes from a chemical reaction between almost any fat or oil and a lye - like sodium hydroxide. That's hardly a natural process.

Continue Learning about Skin Cleansing Soaps

FDA Bans Antibacterial Soaps
FDA Bans Antibacterial Soaps
Think antibacterial hand soap is the best way to suds up? You may want to think again. Nineteen ingredients in over-the-counter antibacterial soaps, i...
Can soaps cause my skin to itch?
Soaps can cause your skin to itch. Using a very strong soap can cause your skin to react to the ...
What should my body soap do?
Body soap should cleanse your body by removing dirt and excess oil that can contribute to body odors...
Why should I not use soap on my face?
James M.. WilmottJames M.. Wilmott
You should avoid soap on your face because it is a harsh surfactant which indiscriminately removes g...