Is natural soap really natural?

Arthur W. Perry, MD
Plastic Surgery
Have you heard the ads for "natural soap?" Do you think that's possible? Well, I've never seen a soap tree or visited a soap mine. In fact, they don't exist. And soap doesn't exist in nature. All soap is made in a laboratory - or a kitchen. Soap comes from a chemical reaction between almost any fat or oil and a lye - like sodium hydroxide. That's hardly a natural process.

Continue Learning about Skin Cleansing Soaps

FDA Bans Antibacterial Soaps
FDA Bans Antibacterial Soaps
Think antibacterial hand soap is the best way to suds up? You may want to think again. Nineteen ingredients in over-the-counter antibacterial soaps, i...
What are some common conditions that bubble baths can cause?
Depending on the ingredients of the bubble bath solution and the quantity being used, it's quite pos...
How does soap get me clean?
Both soap and non-soap cleansers contain ingredients that attach to dirt and oil, helping to loosen ...
What is soap?
Soap is a skin care product that is used for cleaning the body. When combined with water, soap r...