What is a pH balanced skin care product?

Dr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Dermatology

The product is compatible with the neutral pH of the skin, so it won't react with it adversely. Some chemical ingredients, such as acids or alkaline detergents, change the pH balance temporarily and can affect the epidermal barrier. The phrase can be a decent guide to finding a gentle, basic skin care product that doesn't contain these elements.

Simple Skin Beauty: Every Woman's Guide to a Lifetime of Healthy, Gorgeous Skin

What if a leading dermatologist just happened to be your best friend and you could ask her anything? DR. ELLEN MARMUR, a world-renowned New York City dermatologist, answers all your questions with...

Continue Learning about Skin Cleansing Products

Why should I use a moisturizing cleanser?
Many cleansers strip the skin of its natural moisture, which can cause it to become dry and irritate...
What is sodium isethionate?
Sodium isethionate is a cleansing ingredient that is derived from coconut oil, and it helps to remov...
Why should I avoid cleansers or shampoos that contain sulfates?
Cybele Fishman, MDCybele Fishman, MD
You should avoid using cleansers or shampoos that contain sulfates because they are alkaline, as opp...
What Should I Keep in Mind When Using aPower Facial Cleanser?