Will an oil-based cleanser make my skin break out?

If you have acne-prone skin, a dermatologist may recommend that you avoid using cleansers that contain oil in order to help prevent breakouts. Look for the words "oil-free" and "non-comedogenic" on the label of cleansing products. (Non-comedogenic means the product won't clog skin pores.) Ask your dermatologist for skin care advice if you are prone to breakouts.
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Dermatology

It very well could make you break out if you have oily skin or acne on a regular basis. In that case, you're better off with a water-based, oil-free facial wash. But someone with sensitive or dry skin will do very well with this formulation because it leaves a little healthy oil on the skin after washing away makeup or grime. Think of makeup, dirt, sweat, and sebum on your face at the end of the day as dried paint (beautifully applied and natural-looking dried paint, of course). To make it easier to clean off that dried-up debris, you need something to wet it again.

Simple Skin Beauty: Every Woman's Guide to a Lifetime of Healthy, Gorgeous Skin

What if a leading dermatologist just happened to be your best friend and you could ask her anything? DR. ELLEN MARMUR, a world-renowned New York City dermatologist, answers all your questions with...

Continue Learning about Skin Cleansing Products

Is there a danger to skin in using gluten containing products?
Amy JonesAmy Jones
If you have Celiac disease or gluten intolerance, it is important to know that the gluten molecule c...
Do organic cleansers and moisturizers irritate the skin?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Organic cleansers and moisturizers can provide the same results as their synthetic counterparts, and...
How do moisturizing cleansers work?
Moisturizing cleansers contain ingredients like emollients, lipids and/or humectants, which seal in ...
What Should I Keep in Mind When Using aPower Facial Cleanser?