How does sodium isethionate work in cleansers?

Sodium isethionate is a surfactant, an essential ingredient to many cleansers. Since water and oil do not mix, a surfactant's job is to enable the water to cling to oil and dirt so they can be rinsed off of the skin.

Continue Learning about Skin Cleansing Products

Why should cosmetics ingredients be stable?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
It is common for a chemical to become unstable when exposed to light or oxygen in air and thereby lo...
Are there differences in the type of cloth used in face cleansing wipes?
Face cleansing cloths can include open-weave and closed-weave varieties. The wider the weaves are, t...
How does using a mild cleanser help skin stay healthy?
A mild cleanser removes excess dirt and oil from your skin while maintaining a healthy balance of oi...
What Should I Keep in Mind When Using aPower Facial Cleanser?