How do oil cleansers work on my skin?

Dr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Dermatology

Cleansing oil is oil-soluble, meaning it's compatible with the other oils and makeup ingredients on your face. It's able to bind with that residue, loosen it, and make it easier to lift off the face. It's similar to using a cold cream or an oily makeup remover. Some oil-based cleansers also contain a super-gentle surfactant, such as polysorbate 80, to help the emulsification process along. Another big positive with cleansing oil is that you tend to massage it into your skin for much longer than you would a foaming cleanser. This stimulates circulation and dilates the vessels on top of the dermis. Massaging the face delivers oxygen and nourishment to the skin (through the dilated blood vessels). And it feels good too.

Simple Skin Beauty: Every Woman's Guide to a Lifetime of Healthy, Gorgeous Skin

What if a leading dermatologist just happened to be your best friend and you could ask her anything? DR. ELLEN MARMUR, a world-renowned New York City dermatologist, answers all your questions with...

Continue Learning about Skin Cleansing Products

How do moisturizing cleansers work?
Moisturizing cleansers contain ingredients like emollients, lipids and/or humectants, which seal in ...
Should I use body wash or bar soap to cleanse my body?
If you have dry skin, you may prefer to use a non-soap cleanser to wash your skin instead of a b...
Do organic cleansers and moisturizers irritate the skin?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Organic cleansers and moisturizers can provide the same results as their synthetic counterparts, and...
What Should I Keep in Mind When Using aPower Facial Cleanser?