Do I need different products for both my oily skin and dry skin?

Dr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Dermatology
You are actually quite lucky if you have this kind of complexion, because it's resilient. You can use almost anything you want on it. I consider combination skin like yours to be the closest thing to a "normal" skin type. Because your skin is neither too oily, too dry, nor too sensitive, feel free to use whatever formulations or ingredients you prefer. You can buy something because it smells good or the packaging appeals to you without worrying about the effect it might have because your skin recovers so easily. It's probably a good idea in general to choose products that say "noncomedogenic" on the label, because they don't tend to clog pores with emollients such as mineral oil (an ingredient you don't need on oily areas). Don't think toners are usually necessary, but in your case an astringent toner is a fine way to degrease the T-zone without drying the entire face. You want to look for a toner geared to oily or acne-prone skin, with ingredients like alcohol, witch hazel extract, lactic acid, or salicylic acid. All these strip the skin of oil and help keep pores clean of dead skin cells, but they're also extremely drying. Use this kind of toner only on the oily areas of your face. 
Simple Skin Beauty: Every Woman's Guide to a Lifetime of Healthy, Gorgeous Skin

What if a leading dermatologist just happened to be your best friend and you could ask her anything? DR. ELLEN MARMUR, a world-renowned New York City dermatologist, answers all your questions with...

Continue Learning about Skin Cleansing Products

When would I use a face cleansing wipe?
They can come in handy if you need a midday refresher to get rid of excess oil, want to wipe off mak...
What is sodium isethionate used for?
Sodium isethionate can be found in a variety of facial and body cleansers as well as shampoos and ot...
Why should I use a moisturizing cleanser?
Many cleansers strip the skin of its natural moisture, which can cause it to become dry and irritate...
What Should I Keep in Mind When Using aPower Facial Cleanser?