Why should I perform a skin self-exam?

By examining your skin on a regular basis, you may notice the earliest sign of any type of skin change or new lesion. You live in your body day in and day out and you should notice changes first. Seeing a doctor is the first step you should take if you notice something new or different. He or she can reassure you if it is something serious or not, and discuss whether you may need a skin biopsy for further evaluation.

Statistics show that approximately 50% of all people are likely to suffer from skin cancer by age 65, so everyone should know how to perform skin self-exams to spot potential problems. Self-exams may help lead to treatment in the earliest stage of skin cancer, when outcomes are best. Basal and squamous cell carcinomas have a cure rate of up to 90% with early detection and treatment. Even deadly melanoma may be cured if identified and treated early enough.

Continue Learning about Skin Cancers

Know Before You Go: Skin Biopsy
Know Before You Go: Skin Biopsy
More people are diagnosed with skin cancer each year than all other cancers combined. But despite being so common, it’s also the most treatable cancer...
What kind of doctor should I see if I need to be checked for skin cancer?
Your family doctor is well trained to assess you for skin cancer. If you have a mole, freckle or oth...
What Does Skin Cancer Really Look Like?
What Does Skin Cancer Really Look Like?What Does Skin Cancer Really Look Like?What Does Skin Cancer Really Look Like?What Does Skin Cancer Really Look Like?
How to tell what splotches, sores and other marks on your skin really mean.
Prevent Skin Cancer With Lemon Zest
Prevent Skin Cancer With Lemon Zest