What should I know about using sunscreen if I have basal cell carcinoma?

Sunscreen is essential for protecting the skin, especially if you have been diagnosed with basal cell carcinoma. Basal cell carcinoma is one of the most common types of skin cancer. Apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of 30 or higher before going outdoors. In addition, wear protective clothing and a wide-brimmed hat. Try to avoid direct sun exposure from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., when sunlight is strongest. Ask your doctor about the best types of sunscreen for you.

Continue Learning about Skin Cancers

3 Myths About Sunshine
3 Myths About Sunshine
Sunlight has a profound effect on our bodies, skin and even our mood. And while there's no shortage of information on how to stay safe in the sun, som...
What are the different types of skin cancer?
There are many different types of skin cancer. However, the three main types are: basal cell, li...
What Really Works to Fight Skin Cancer
What Really Works to Fight Skin CancerWhat Really Works to Fight Skin CancerWhat Really Works to Fight Skin CancerWhat Really Works to Fight Skin Cancer
Learn about the treatment options for skin cancer.
Prevent Skin Cancer With Lemon Zest
Prevent Skin Cancer With Lemon Zest