What are the stages of skin cancer?

These are the stages of skin cancer:

Stage 0: The cancer involves only the top layer of skin. It is carcinoma in situ. Stage I: The growth is 2 centimeters wide (three-quarters of an inch) or smaller. Stage II: The growth is larger than 2 centimeters wide (three-quarters of an inch). Stage III: The cancer has spread below the skin to cartilage, muscle, bone, or to nearby lymph nodes. It has not spread to other places in the body. Stage IV: The cancer has spread to other places in the body.

This answer is based on source information from the National Cancer Institute.

Melanoma has several stages, labeled stage 0, stage I, stage II, stage III and stage IV. Cancer that is found only in the epidermis, or outer layer of the skin, is stage 0, while cancer that has spread from the epidermis to lymph nodes and other organs is stage IV.

Use a sunscreen and wear protective clothing to safeguard your skin from the sun's harmful rays.

Continue Learning about Skin Cancers

What You Need to Know About Skin Cancer
What You Need to Know About Skin Cancer
Skin cancer is the most common type of cancer in the United States and the most treatable, if caught early. There are several types of skin cancer. We...
Why should I perform a skin self-exam?
Statistics show that approximately 50% of all people are likely to suffer from skin cancer by ag...
How to Keep Melanoma From Coming Back
How to Keep Melanoma From Coming BackHow to Keep Melanoma From Coming BackHow to Keep Melanoma From Coming BackHow to Keep Melanoma From Coming Back
Four proven strategies to lower your chances of getting skin cancer again.
Prevent Skin Cancer With Lemon Zest
Prevent Skin Cancer With Lemon Zest