Does Merkel cell carcinoma run in families?

Although the exact cause is unknown, Merkel cell carcinoma doesn't seem to run in families. Researchers think that Merkel cell carcinoma may be caused by some kind of abnormality in the genes in the Merkel cells, which are found in the top layer of skin. However, this abnormality seems to happen spontaneously, so it's not something that's passed down from parents to children.

Continue Learning about Skin Cancers

What You Need to Know About Skin Cancer
What You Need to Know About Skin Cancer
Skin cancer is the most common type of cancer in the United States and the most treatable, if caught early. There are several types of skin cancer. We...
What kind of doctor should I see if I need to be checked for skin cancer?
Your family doctor is well trained to assess you for skin cancer. If you have a mole, freckle or oth...
What Does Skin Cancer Really Look Like?
What Does Skin Cancer Really Look Like?What Does Skin Cancer Really Look Like?What Does Skin Cancer Really Look Like?What Does Skin Cancer Really Look Like?
How to tell what splotches, sores and other marks on your skin really mean.
Prevent Skin Cancer With Lemon Zest
Prevent Skin Cancer With Lemon Zest