Is there a cure for Merkel cell carcinoma?

Unfortunately, there's no guaranteed cure for Merkel cell carcinoma. However, if it's diagnosed early, treatments may make it possible to completely remove the cancer. Treatment usually starts with surgical removal of the tumor, and in some cases, removal of the lymph nodes, too. Doctors may then follow up with other treatments, including radiation therapy and chemotherapy. Your chances of recovery are much better if it's caught early, so talk to your doctor as soon as you notice any symptoms.

Continue Learning about Skin Cancers

5 Different Skin Cancer Spots and What They May Mean
The statistics on skin cancer are shocking: More than 1 in 5 Americans will develop it by age 70, and more than one person dies of skin cancer—usually...
What kind of doctor should I see if I need to be checked for skin cancer?
Your family doctor is well trained to assess you for skin cancer. If you have a mole, freckle or oth...
What Really Works to Fight Skin Cancer
What Really Works to Fight Skin CancerWhat Really Works to Fight Skin CancerWhat Really Works to Fight Skin CancerWhat Really Works to Fight Skin Cancer
Learn about the treatment options for skin cancer.
Prevent Skin Cancer With Lemon Zest
Prevent Skin Cancer With Lemon Zest