What do I need to know to care for someone with skin cancer?

To care for someone with skin cancer, it's important to support them both physically and emotionally. First and foremost, help them decide on and complete treatment. Treatment can be physically draining, so it's important to care for their overall health by providing a nutritious diet and making sure they get enough rest. After treatment, ensure they see their doctor for regular follow-up appointments. Encourage them to check their own skin frequently and to protect their skin from the sun. Remember that skin cancer can cause a lot of emotional stress, so support them as much as possible as they cope with the emotional challenges during treatment and recovery.

Continue Learning about Skin Cancers

Know the Signs: Skin Cancer
Know the Signs: Skin Cancer
Despite better screening methods, more public awareness and more advanced treatments, the rates of skin cancer continue to rise. It’s been estimated ...
When should I call my doctor if I have melanoma skin cancer?
If you have melanoma skin cancer, or if you think you might, you should call your doctor if you noti...
9 Sunscreen Mistakes You Don't Have to Make
9 Sunscreen Mistakes You Don't Have to Make9 Sunscreen Mistakes You Don't Have to Make9 Sunscreen Mistakes You Don't Have to Make9 Sunscreen Mistakes You Don't Have to Make
Prevent Skin Cancer With Lemon Zest
Prevent Skin Cancer With Lemon Zest