Why should I check my partner's skin for sun damage?

While you're helping your significant other get slathered up with sunscreen this weekend, throw in a little bonus gift -- a skin check.

You see, there's a benefit to being this close. Couples with tight-knit bonds are more likely to carefully check each other's skin for moles, bumps and other worrisome marks.

Skin self-exams can catch melanoma and other skin cancers early, when treatment has the best shot. And in a study of melanoma survivors, couples in close relationships were about three times more likely to do the skin-check deed. A partner can help with hard-to-see spots, too -- like your back and your scalp.

Continue Learning about Skin Cancer Prevention