Why should I check my partner's skin for sun damage?

While you're helping your significant other get slathered up with sunscreen this weekend, throw in a little bonus gift -- a skin check.

You see, there's a benefit to being this close. Couples with tight-knit bonds are more likely to carefully check each other's skin for moles, bumps and other worrisome marks.

Skin self-exams can catch melanoma and other skin cancers early, when treatment has the best shot. And in a study of melanoma survivors, couples in close relationships were about three times more likely to do the skin-check deed. A partner can help with hard-to-see spots, too -- like your back and your scalp.

Continue Learning about Skin Cancer Prevention

How can I prevent a recurrence of skin cancer?
Once you’ve had one skin cancer, your risk of getting another goes up. Don’t just cross your fingers...
How can I prevent skin cancer?
Dr. Philip T. Glynn, MDDr. Philip T. Glynn, MD
One of the best ways to prevent skin cancer is by wearing sunscreen. Look for products with a sun pr...
4 Ways to Protect Your Skin After Skin Cancer
4 Ways to Protect Your Skin After Skin Cancer4 Ways to Protect Your Skin After Skin Cancer4 Ways to Protect Your Skin After Skin Cancer4 Ways to Protect Your Skin After Skin Cancer
You've had it once already. Here's how to lower your risk of getting it again.
Should I Examine My Skin Regularly to Prevent Skin Cancer?