What are sunscreen guidelines for children to prevent skin cancer?

The following are sunscreen guidelines for children:
  • Apply sunscreen to small areas of skin not protected by clothing.
  • Apply sunscreen at least 30 minutes before going outside.
  • Apply sunscreen liberally to all exposed areas. Most people receive only 20% to 50% of a sunscreen's advertised protection because they use too little.
  • Reapply sunscreen every two hours, especially if the child plays in the water, even if the sunscreen is "waterproof."
  • Choose sunscreens with a sun protection factor (SPF) of 15 or higher that blocks both UVA and UVB rays.
  • Do not use sunscreens that are combined with insect repellent.

Continue Learning about Skin Cancer Prevention

Can drinking coffee prevent skin cancer?
In addition to fending off Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, asthma, and siesta urges, caffeine has now been...
How can I reduce my risk of developing cancer from sun exposure or tanning?
LIVESTRONGLIVESTRONG
To reduce the risk of cancer from ultraviolet (UV) rays, use sunscreen that blocks both UV-A and UV-...
4 Ways to Protect Your Skin After Skin Cancer
4 Ways to Protect Your Skin After Skin Cancer4 Ways to Protect Your Skin After Skin Cancer4 Ways to Protect Your Skin After Skin Cancer4 Ways to Protect Your Skin After Skin Cancer
You've had it once already. Here's how to lower your risk of getting it again.
Can Coffee Prevent Cancer?
Can Coffee Prevent Cancer?