How can I reduce my risk of developing cancer from sun exposure or tanning?

To reduce the risk of cancer from ultraviolet (UV) rays, use sunscreen that blocks both UV-A and UV-B radiations with a sun protective factor (SPF) of at least 15. Wear protective clothing and a hat when you are outdoors. UV damage occurs most during the mid-morning to late afternoon hours. Protect your eyes by wearing sunglasses that block 99-100 percent of UV-A and UV-B radiation.

Continue Learning about Skin Cancer Prevention

How can I reduce the risk of getting skin cancer on my lips?
Could cancer on your lips sound any less appealing? More than 60% of regular sunscreen-users ski...
What are sunscreen guidelines for children to prevent skin cancer?
Aurora Health CareAurora Health Care
The following are sunscreen guidelines for children: Apply sunscreen to small areas of skin not pr...
4 Ways to Protect Your Skin After Skin Cancer
4 Ways to Protect Your Skin After Skin Cancer4 Ways to Protect Your Skin After Skin Cancer4 Ways to Protect Your Skin After Skin Cancer4 Ways to Protect Your Skin After Skin Cancer
You've had it once already. Here's how to lower your risk of getting it again.
How Can I Prevent Skin Cancer?
How Can I Prevent Skin Cancer?