Can sunscreen prevent skin cancer?

There’s no proof that sunscreens prevent most skin cancer. Rates of melanoma -- the most deadly form of skin cancer -- have tripled over the past 35 years. Most scientists and public health agencies, including the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), have found very little evidence that sunscreen prevents most types of skin cancer. Yet a good sunscreen can play role in preventing sunburns that are a major risk factor for melanoma -- provided you use it correctly. That means frequently applying it to all exposed areas of the body.

Continue Learning about Skin Cancer Prevention

Why should I check my partner's skin for sun damage?
While you're helping your significant other get slathered up with sunscreen this weekend, throw ...
How can I protect myself from the sun to reduce my risk of skin cancer?
Use sunscreen to prevent skin cancer. Apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen (SPF 30 or higher) to you...
4 Ways to Protect Your Skin After Skin Cancer
4 Ways to Protect Your Skin After Skin Cancer4 Ways to Protect Your Skin After Skin Cancer4 Ways to Protect Your Skin After Skin Cancer4 Ways to Protect Your Skin After Skin Cancer
You've had it once already. Here's how to lower your risk of getting it again.
Should I Examine My Skin Regularly to Prevent Skin Cancer?