What procedures are used in oncology to diagnose skin cancer?

Oncology uses a number of skin biopsy procedures to diagnose skin cancer. Excisional and incisional biopsies are sometimes used to remove all or part of a growth from the surface of the skin. Shave biopsies allow the oncologist to remove a tissue sample from the skin by scraping the surface with a tool. In a punch biopsy, the oncologist removes a quarter-inch deep section of the skin using a circular, punch-like tool. The wounds created by excisional, incisional, and punch biopsies often need to be stitched afterward. Shave biopsies do not usually require stitches.

Continue Learning about Skin Cancer Diagnosis

How does dermoscopy detect skin cancer?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
A dermatoscope is a handheld device that uses polarized light to magnify an area ten times. The feat...
How can I check my skin for cancer?
Mercy HealthMercy Health
To check your skin for cancer, do it in a room with plenty of light. Use a full-length mirror and a ...
What Happens During a Skin Cancer Screening?
What Are the Benefits of Skin Cancer Screening?