How do I know if a mole is skin cancer?

A mole may be skin cancer if it acts differently than other moles. You should watch for the "A, B, C, D, and E's" that may suggest skin cancer. "A" stands for asymmetry, where the mole is not a circular or oval shape. "B" stands for border irregularity, where the border of the mole is not smooth. "C" is for uneven color throughout the mole. "D" is for diameter of the mole greater than 6 millimeters since normal moles are usually less than that in size. "E" is for evolving, so any mole that appears to be changing should be looked at by your doctor. If you notice any of these features, you should have a doctor examine your mole as there may be a possibility of skin cancer.

Continue Learning about Skin Cancer Diagnosis

How can I detect skin cancer?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Skin cancer has a high cure rate if it's caught early and treated correctly. Squamous cell carcinoma...
How can I check my skin for cancer?
Mercy HealthMercy Health
To check your skin for cancer, do it in a room with plenty of light. Use a full-length mirror and a ...
How Is Skin Cancer Diagnosed?
How Is Skin Cancer Diagnosed?
What Happens During a Skin Cancer Screening?