Does sun exposure increase my risk for skin cancer?

Kelly Traver

Avoid excess sun. Skin cancer is directly related to sun exposure. Ultraviolet radiation damages the DNA of skin cells, increasing the risk of cancerous changes. Don't visit tanning booths; they emit ultraviolet A radiation. Both UVA and UVB increase the risk of cancer. Wear sunscreen with SPF 15 or higher and UVA or UVB protection.

Sun exposure is one of the most significant risk factors for most types of skin cancer. The sun's rays contain harmful ultraviolet (UV) radiation. It is thought that those UV rays are what may damage DNA and cause skin cancer. Because of this risk, it is a good idea to avoid excessive sun exposure and to protect your skin with sunscreen and tightly woven clothing.

Continue Learning about Skin Cancer Causes & Risk Factors

If I have freckles, are my chances of getting cancer heightened?
Freckles are common in people with fair skin. While freckles themselves do not increase a person...
Can children get skin cancer?
Skin cancer is a disease that can affect all ages. Children can get skin cancer, but more import...
Does skin cancer run in families?
Certain types of skin cancer may run in families. This means that if one of your relatives has had s...
What Increases My Risk for Skin Cancer?
What Increases My Risk for Skin Cancer?