Does sun exposure increase my risk for skin cancer?

Sun exposure is one of the most significant risk factors for most types of skin cancer. The sun's rays contain harmful ultraviolet (UV) radiation. It is thought that those UV rays are what may damage DNA and cause skin cancer. Because of this risk, it is a good idea to avoid excessive sun exposure and to protect your skin with sunscreen and tightly woven clothing.

Kelly Traver

Avoid excess sun. Skin cancer is directly related to sun exposure. Ultraviolet radiation damages the DNA of skin cells, increasing the risk of cancerous changes. Don't visit tanning booths; they emit ultraviolet A radiation. Both UVA and UVB increase the risk of cancer. Wear sunscreen with SPF 15 or higher and UVA or UVB protection.

Continue Learning about Skin Cancer Causes & Risk Factors

Who is most at risk for skin cancer?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Genetics have been found to play a role in skin cancer, with Caucasians experiencing the highest inc...
How does sun exposure damage skin?
Sunlight consists of two main types of ultraviolet (UV) rays that damage skin -- UVA and UVB ray...
How is UV radiation harmful to our skin?
Susan EvansSusan Evans
UV radiation comes from the sun and from tanning beds. UV radiation damages our skin and adversely a...
What Increases My Risk for Skin Cancer?
What Increases My Risk for Skin Cancer?