Does skin cancer run in families?

Certain types of skin cancer may run in families. This means that if one of your relatives has had skin cancer, you are more likely to develop skin cancer, too. This is especially true of melanoma, which is the most dangerous type of skin cancer. If you know that your parents or siblings have had skin cancer, it is especially important for you to check your skin regularly and see a doctor right away if you notice any unusual symptoms.

Continue Learning about Skin Cancer Causes & Risk Factors

Does having dark skin shield me from skin cancer?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Darker skin types are definitely more protected against sun-induced skin cancer because of the produ...
Are tanning salons all right for young people to use?
Young people may be unaware of the potential dangers of tanning salons because UV radiation effects ...
Am I more likely to get skin cancer if I smoke?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
It’s not just your lungs that are at risk if you’re a smoker -- you’re more likely to get skin c...
What Increases My Risk for Skin Cancer?
What Increases My Risk for Skin Cancer?