Does skin cancer run in families?

Certain types of skin cancer may run in families. This means that if one of your relatives has had skin cancer, you are more likely to develop skin cancer, too. This is especially true of melanoma, which is the most dangerous type of skin cancer. If you know that your parents or siblings have had skin cancer, it is especially important for you to check your skin regularly and see a doctor right away if you notice any unusual symptoms.

Continue Learning about Skin Cancer Causes & Risk Factors

What are the risk factors for skin cancer?
Riverside Cancer Care CenterRiverside Cancer Care Center
Studies have found the following risk factors for skin cancer: Ultraviolet (UV) radiation: UV radiat...
Does having dark skin shield me from skin cancer?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Darker skin types are definitely more protected against sun-induced skin cancer because of the produ...
Who is most at risk for skin cancer?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Genetics have been found to play a role in skin cancer, with Caucasians experiencing the highest inc...
What Increases My Risk for Skin Cancer?
What Increases My Risk for Skin Cancer?