Are the elderly at a high risk for skin cancer?

Susan Evans
Dermatology
Sun abuse is not the only reason seniors are at a higher risk for melanoma in our society. Another reason can be due to the introduction of the tanning bed, which was brought to the United States in 1978 and remained unregulated until 1988. Tanning bed laws were again updated in 1999. As popular as tanning beds are in the United States, they have an even higher usage rate in Europe where there is less natural sun exposure.

Hopefully, the public's raised awareness of sun protection and tanning bed regulations will help reverse the rate of increase for skin cancer. This should lead to a decrease in occurrences for future generations of seniors. Following precautionary guidelines such as wearing sunscreen, using proper cover-ups, like hats and sunglasses, and seeking shade instead of direct sunlight can help people reduce their risk to skin damage now. This will reduce their risk to melanoma later. In the meantime, seniors should arrange for regular skin cancer screenings with their doctors and educate themselves on what types of skin changes for which to be vigilant.

Continue Learning about Skin Cancer Causes & Risk Factors

Who is most at risk for skin cancer?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
Some risk factors for skin cancer include: Red or blond hair Fair skin A blistering sunburn ...
Can the elderly get skin cancer?
Susan EvansSusan Evans
One thing than makes diagnosis of skin cancer in senior citizens more difficult is how the skin ...
Does having dark skin shield me from skin cancer?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Darker skin types are definitely more protected against sun-induced skin cancer because of the produ...
What Increases My Risk for Skin Cancer?
What Increases My Risk for Skin Cancer?