Does having dark skin shield me from skin cancer?

Dr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Dermatology

Darker skin types are definitely more protected against sun-induced skin cancer because of the production of melanin, but they are not immune. Acral lentiginous melanoma (ALM), which is often found on the hands and feet, accounts for 5 percent of diagnosed melanoma cases in the United States. It is the most common form of melanoma in Asians, African Americans, and dark-skinned populations. ALM is one of those hidden cancers - besides the palms and soles, it can lurk in overlooked spots like the mucous membranes of the nose or mouth, in the genital area and under toe and fingernails. Many people with dark skin who get skin cancers are diagnosed at a later stage, when the disease is more aggressive and potentially deadly. Although fewer African Americans develop skin cancer, a larger number of them die of the disease because it's not detected in time. In 1981, the reggae legend Bob Marley died of acral lentiginous melanoma that started underneath his right big toenail. Tragically, he mistook it for a soccer injury and ignored it until it spread to his lungs and brain. He was only thirty-six years old.

Simple Skin Beauty: Every Woman's Guide to a Lifetime of Healthy, Gorgeous Skin

What if a leading dermatologist just happened to be your best friend and you could ask her anything? DR. ELLEN MARMUR, a world-renowned New York City dermatologist, answers all your questions with...

Continue Learning about Skin Cancer Causes & Risk Factors

Does sun exposure increase my risk for skin cancer?
Sun exposure is one of the most significant risk factors for most types of skin cancer. The sun's ra...
Why is skin cancer more common in old age?
The risk of skin cancer increases in old age as the body loses the ability to replace worn-out cells...
How likely am I to develop skin cancer?
Jeanine B. Downie, MDJeanine B. Downie, MD
Between 40% and 50% of Americans who live to age 65 will have some type of skin cancer at least ...
What Increases My Risk for Skin Cancer?
What Increases My Risk for Skin Cancer?