Can people with dark skin get skin cancer?

Yes. Even though people with dark complexions have a higher concentration of melanin in their skin, they are still at risk for developing skin cancer when exposed to the sun's harmful ultraviolet rays.

It's possible for people of any skin type and color to develop skin cancer. However, it's much more common among people with fair skin than people with dark skin. This is because darker skin contains more pigment to protect from ultraviolet (UV) rays. When people with darker skin develop skin cancer, it's more common in areas that aren't exposed to the sun, such as underneath nails or between toes. Regardless of their degree of risk, people of all skin types should still protect their skin from the sun.

Continue Learning about Skin Cancer Causes & Risk Factors

How is UV radiation harmful to our skin?
Susan EvansSusan Evans
UV radiation comes from the sun and from tanning beds. UV radiation damages our skin and adversely a...
How do other illnesses affect skin cancer?
Skin cancer doesn't usually affect your body's ability to fight illnesses. In some cases, if skin ca...
Does skin cancer run in families?
Certain types of skin cancer may run in families. This means that if one of your relatives has had s...
What Increases My Risk for Skin Cancer?
What Increases My Risk for Skin Cancer?