When can I start treatment to prevent burn scars?

Treatment to prevent burn scars depends on the degree or severity or the burn. For first-degree and second-degree burns that can typically be treated at home:
  • Be sure to keep the damaged area covered with a bandage, and keep the wound moist and bacteria-free.
  • Topical treatments are commonly used to try to prevent scars from appearing. Aloe, for instance, is often used to soothe the burn and smooth the skin. Applying it a few times daily might help the healing process.
Third-degree burns require medical attention for treatment and prevention of scars. 
Alexander M. Majidian, MD
Plastic Surgery
Scar prevention treatment can be started after the skin completely heals from a burn, says Alexander Majidian, MD, FACS of the Grossman Burn Center at West Hills Hospital. Watch this video to learn when you can start to treat your burn from home. 

Continue Learning about Burn Treatment

How does a skin graft work?
Alexander M. Majidian, MDAlexander M. Majidian, MD
When performing a skin graft, a very thin layer of skin is taken from a healthy part of the body and...
How can I perform the energetic remedy for burns?
Master Stephen CoMaster Stephen Co
Perform the following steps to provide an effective energetic remedy for burns:1. Affected area: Swe...
How should a child be treated for first degree burns?
Cooling a burn with water or a type of cream is a helpful way to treat a child that has been burned....
Why is artificial skin used on my burn?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Remember, skin is your largest organ. The skin has many lifesaving functions such as keeping bacteri...