What is debridement of burn wounds?

Debridement (cleaning) is a procedure that is performed on a burn injury that helps cleanse the wound and decrease the risk of infection. With debridement, the healthcare professional (doctor or nurse) inspects the wound bed and carefully removes dead tissue and even large blisters that may be painful or at risk of rupture.

Using special tools and techniques, the doctor or nurse also removes foreign bodies from the wound, including debris, dirt, and other remains. As they remove dead tissue, the doctor or nurse can see the full depth of the wound, which can then help determine the best treatment. Debridement helps boost healing as the wound surface is cleaned of tissue and fragments that might lead to a serious infection.

Dr. Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgeon

Debridement of burn wounds is important for third degree burns to remove necrotic tissue and prevent infection. Tangential debridement refers to thin planar excisions of dead or necrotic tissue followed by dressing changes and finally skin grafting.

Debridement refers to removal of dead tissue from the burns. It can be as simple as removing blisters at bedside or having it done surgically in the operating room.

Continue Learning about Burn Treatment

Is there a natural way to prevent scars from burns?
Alexander M. Majidian, MDAlexander M. Majidian, MD
One of the biggest things that can help to prevent scars is massage, says, Alexander Majidian, MD, F...
How can I make my child's stay in hospital comfortable after burn surgery?
Medical City PlanoMedical City Plano
Above all be positive and supportive. Your physician will guide you in the process of physically hea...
Are there alternative treatments for electrical burns?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Electrical burns  patients should be treated for possible dehydration, electrolyte imbalance, cardia...
When should I see a doctor about a burn?
Dr. Alexander M. Majidian, MDDr. Alexander M. Majidian, MD
A sign that you should see a doctor is when the burn seems like it's getting worse every day. In thi...