What is a burn center?

Burn centers are hospitals or a section of a hospital that focus on the treatment of burns. They have specialized equipment, as well as staff who are particularly knowledgeable in the short-and long-term treatment of burns. They are equipped to handle chemical and electrical burns, as well as inhalation burns. Severe burns are best treated at burn centers, as are burns occurring to the young and old, as they have additional issues to consider during treatment. In addition, serious burns to the hands, feet, face, and genitals pose unique challenges that are sometimes best handled at burn centers over a regular hospital.
Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
A burn center is specialized hospital or unit in a hospital to treat seriously burned patients. Burns can be from many sources including thermal, electrical, and chemical nature. The surgeons on staff are usually trained extensively on critical care management and plastic and reconstructive surgery. Management not only includes surgery but also includes fluid resuscitation, electrolyte balance and multisystem control. Airway protection from smoke inhalation is critical and is intensive fluid control and prevention of multisystem organ failure from dehydration and septicemia.

Continue Learning about Burn Treatment

How is virtual reality used during burn wound care treatment?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
According to findings from a study presented at the 26th Annual Meeting of the American Academy of P...
How can occupational therapy help me if I have a burn injury?
Medical City PlanoMedical City Plano
Occupational therapy focuses on your arms and hands. It helps you regain strength and range of movem...
Is there a natural way to prevent scars from burns?
Alexander M. Majidian, MDAlexander M. Majidian, MD
One of the biggest things that can help to prevent scars is massage, says, Alexander Majidian, MD, F...
How can I perform the energetic remedy for burns?
Master Stephen CoMaster Stephen Co
Perform the following steps to provide an effective energetic remedy for burns:1. Affected area: Swe...