How is virtual reality used during burn wound care treatment?

According to findings from a study presented at the 26th Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Pain Medicine (AAPM), virtual reality has been found to lower the level of pain in some veterans with war-related burns from blasts and explosions.

In this study, veterans were asked to consider their worst pain and the negative feelings associated with the pain while having wound treatment for 6 minutes. The treatment was administered using virtual reality and then without it. Researchers reported major reductions in each pain category during the virtual reality experience.

In other presentations at the AAPM meeting, researchers reported that low-dose ketamine given continuously via intravenous (IV) therapy helped pain control in some veterans suffering with gunshot wounds, explosion burns, and other combat causes. Ironically, the ketamine worked on soldiers with severe pain, dropping the intensity dramatically, but did not work on those with less severe pain.

Experts believe that because more soldiers are surviving burns and injuries that result in severe pain, it has made the treatment of severe and chronic pain much more challenging and necessary.

Continue Learning about Burn Treatment

How do I treat an extremely severe burn?
Brian Evans, MDBrian Evans, MD
If you or a loved one experience a severe burn, call 911 immediately. Then, place a cool compress on...
When should I see a doctor about a burn?
Dr. Alexander M. Majidian, MDDr. Alexander M. Majidian, MD
A sign that you should see a doctor is when the burn seems like it's getting worse every day. In thi...
What is debridement of burn wounds?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Debridement (cleaning) is a procedure that is performed on a burn injury that helps cleanse the woun...
Why shouldn't I treat a burn with ice?
West Valley Medical CenterWest Valley Medical Center
You shouldn't treat a burn with ice because it can injure the skin and trigger frostbite. Running co...