What should I know about using sunscreen if I have a congenital mole?

Although everyone should wear sunscreen to help protect against skin cancer, using sunscreen is especially important if you have a type of congenital mole known as a giant nevus. (Nevus means mole.) These moles measure 8 inches or more in diameter. People who are born with a giant congenital nevus have an increased risk for a type of skin cancer called melanoma. If you have a giant congenital nevus, have it evaluated by a dermatologist.

Continue Learning about Skin Care

One Woman’s Beautification Adventures
One Woman’s Beautification Adventures
In the interest of science and my own personal quest, I have tried a variety of health and beauty treatments that I have seen demonstrated on TV. You’...
What makes skin pores more visible?
Audrey Kunin, MDAudrey Kunin, MD
Under ideal circumstances, pores should barely be visible. Life takes a toll upon the skin. Excessiv...
7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make
7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make
Does Indulging In Chocolate, Junk Food, and Fatty Meals Cause Acne?