What should I know about using sunscreen if I have an atypical mole?

Using sunscreen regularly is a must for everyone, but it's especially important if you have one or more atypical moles. An atypical mole is a tan or brown skin growth that is usually no more than half an inch in diameter. Unlike common moles, which are round, atypical moles have irregular shapes. Having atypical moles increases a person's risk for melanoma, a type of skin cancer.

If you have atypical moles, apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of 30 or higher whenever you plan to be outdoors. Try to avoid direct sunlight from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. You also should wear wide-brimmed hats and protective clothing. Your doctor will suggest that you monitor your atypical moles closely and promptly report any changes in shape or size.

Continue Learning about Skin Care

How a Woman’s Skin Changes Over Time
How a Woman’s Skin Changes Over Time
Your 20s This is a time of subtle changes. In your 20s, expression lines may begin to show as your skin's collagen and elastin start to break down. Ph...
How does my daily lifestyle affect my skin health?
Daily lifestyle and skin health are definitely linked. Ever noticed how whatever is going on in our ...
7 Worst Summer Skin Care Mistakes You Need to Stop Making
7 Worst Summer Skin Care Mistakes You Need to Stop Making7 Worst Summer Skin Care Mistakes You Need to Stop Making7 Worst Summer Skin Care Mistakes You Need to Stop Making7 Worst Summer Skin Care Mistakes You Need to Stop Making
Get the secrets to a sun-kissed glow, without the dangers of damaged skin.
What Do Antioxidants Do for the Skin?
What Do Antioxidants Do for the Skin?