What does it mean when a mole changes in shape?

Moles that change in shape may indicate that a worrisome skin condition is underway. Dermatologists call these moles dysplastic nevi, and they can increase the risk for melanoma, a type of skin cancer. If a mole that has been the same shape for most of your life begins to grow in size or become uneven and jagged, it signals a change in the integrity of the cells. Moles do not change in shape when the cells within them are stable and not growing. Have a doctor check any moles that have changed in size, appearance, color, or shape.

Continue Learning about Skin Care

Can Immunotherapy Treat Skin Cancer?
Can Immunotherapy Treat Skin Cancer?
Immunotherapy is a category of cancer treatment that helps the body’s natural immune system fight cancer. It has been called “the fourth pillar” of ca...
What types of skin products can harm my skin?
Audrey Kunin, MDAudrey Kunin, MD
Washing the skin with moderately or highly alkaline soap or detergents (cleansers that foam are typi...
7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make
7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make
How Can I Look Five Years Younger for $5 or Less?