What is a sunburn?

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

Sunburn is a type of radiation burn to the skin caused by too much exposure to the invisible ultraviolet (UV) rays of the sun or a sun lamp.  Watch the animation to learn more about sunburn’s effects and how to prevent them.

A sunburn is just what it sounds like—a burn from the sun's rays. You can also get a sunburn from a tanning bed or lamp. They have the same rays.

Sunburn can happen when you don't protect your skin from the sun. It's more likely to happen during the middle of the day, when the sun is brightest. And although anyone can get a sunburn, it usually happens quicker in people with light skin.

Sunburns are uncomfortable. But the big problem with sunburns is that they can lead to skin cancer later in life. That's why you should work to prevent sunburns as well as treat them.

Sunburn is the pain, redness and swelling associated with over-exposure to the harmful rays of the sun. Sunburn can last several days to more than a week and can include the shedding of the top layers of the skin (peeling). Use a sunscreen and wear protective clothing to safeguard your skin from the sun's harmful rays.

Dr. Jeffrey A. Benabio, MD
Dermatologist (Skin Specialist)

When ultraviolet light from the sun hits your skin it causes radiation damage. If the radiation damage is severe, then the injured cells die and your immune system kicks in to clear out the dead cells. Blisters and peeling skin are the dead cells sloughing off. Pain and redness is your immune system in high gear clearing the radiation-damaged area before more harm can occur.

Sunburn is injury to the skin caused by overexposure to the rays of the sun or a sunlamp. Sunburn causes redness and sometimes blistering of the skin. Most symptoms do not start until two to four hours after being in the sun or under a sunlamp. The symptoms are worse after 24 hours. Repeated sunburns greatly increase the risk for skin cancer.

Continue Learning about Skin Care

Foods That Make Your Skin Glow
Foods That Make Your Skin Glow
Top skin creams average about $400 per ounce (and you thought gas was expensive!), yet most offer little proof that they do half of what they promise....
Is my skin more sensitive in winter?
Your skin may be more sensitive in winter. The dry weather in winter triggers eczema and other skin ...
7 Worst Summer Skin Care Mistakes You Need to Stop Making
7 Worst Summer Skin Care Mistakes You Need to Stop Making7 Worst Summer Skin Care Mistakes You Need to Stop Making7 Worst Summer Skin Care Mistakes You Need to Stop Making7 Worst Summer Skin Care Mistakes You Need to Stop Making
Get the secrets to a sun-kissed glow, without the dangers of damaged skin.
What Can I Do to Prevent or Lessen My Cellulite?