What is hyperhidrosis?

The most common form of hyperhidrosis is sweaty palms. Peter Mikhail, MD, from Medical Center of Trinity speaks on the commonality of this condition and other symptoms in this video.

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatologist (Skin Specialist)

If you have hyperhydrosis, you know it! It is a condition where either your palms or your underarms or your feet, or all three, drip with embarrassing amounts of sweat, especially when you’re nervous or excited. I’ve had patients with hyperhdrosis who tell me they are afraid to shake hands with people and that this has adversely affected their career advancement, since they often won’t even go for job interviews, or take positions where they have to do any public speaking for fear of sweating through their jackets during their speech. It also has profound effects on their social life. They are too embarrassed to hold hands or wear certain outfits due to the unsightly sweating. Many patients tell me that in a high pressure situation such as a top level corporate meeting, their clothes are soaked with perspiration from the axillae, the medical terms for armpits.

Dr. Susan Evans
Dermatologist (Skin Specialist)

There are some people who have a tendency to sweat excessively; this is a condition called hyperhidrosis.

Hyperhidrosis is a relatively common problem that affects many people. Although sweating is a normal bodily function, in some people it is unnecessarily excessive. Typically, people with hyperhidrosis have excessive sweating of their hands and sometimes in other parts of their body as well. In its most severe form, hyperhidrosis can cause crippling loss of self esteem.

Hyperhidrosis is excessive sweating. It can affect the entire body, but is more common in the armpits and hands.

Continue Learning about Skin Care

Look Radiant With These Expert-Approved Skin Treatments
Who wouldn’t want smoother, wrinkle-free skin? According to a report from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) Botox (Botulinum Toxin Type ...
What is sweat?
Sweat is a salty fluid that acts as a cooling agent for the body. Unfortunately, when mixed with bac...
7 Worst Summer Skin Care Mistakes You Need to Stop Making
7 Worst Summer Skin Care Mistakes You Need to Stop Making7 Worst Summer Skin Care Mistakes You Need to Stop Making7 Worst Summer Skin Care Mistakes You Need to Stop Making7 Worst Summer Skin Care Mistakes You Need to Stop Making
Get the secrets to a sun-kissed glow, without the dangers of damaged skin.
How Can I Get Rid of Fine Lines and Wrinkles on My Skin?