What is hyperhidrosis?

Hyperhidrosis is a relatively common problem that affects many people. Although sweating is a normal bodily function, in some people it is unnecessarily excessive. Typically, people with hyperhidrosis have excessive sweating of their hands and sometimes in other parts of their body as well. In its most severe form, hyperhidrosis can cause crippling loss of self esteem.

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatologist (Skin Specialist)

If you have hyperhydrosis, you know it! It is a condition where either your palms or your underarms or your feet, or all three, drip with embarrassing amounts of sweat, especially when you’re nervous or excited. I’ve had patients with hyperhdrosis who tell me they are afraid to shake hands with people and that this has adversely affected their career advancement, since they often won’t even go for job interviews, or take positions where they have to do any public speaking for fear of sweating through their jackets during their speech. It also has profound effects on their social life. They are too embarrassed to hold hands or wear certain outfits due to the unsightly sweating. Many patients tell me that in a high pressure situation such as a top level corporate meeting, their clothes are soaked with perspiration from the axillae, the medical terms for armpits.

Dr. Susan Evans
Dermatologist (Skin Specialist)

There are some people who have a tendency to sweat excessively; this is a condition called hyperhidrosis.

Hyperhidrosis is excessive sweating. It can affect the entire body, but is more common in the armpits and hands.

The most common form of hyperhidrosis is sweaty palms. Peter Mikhail, MD, from Medical Center of Trinity speaks on the commonality of this condition and other symptoms in this video.

Continue Learning about Skin Care

Look Radiant With These Expert-Approved Skin Treatments
Who wouldn’t want smoother, wrinkle-free skin? According to a report from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) Botox (Botulinum Toxin Type ...
How can an esthetician help me keep my skin healthy?
Ashley LazzariniAshley Lazzarini
An esthetician should always consult with the client to get from point A to Z with the health of you...
How to Pamper Your Most Neglected Body Parts
How to Pamper Your Most Neglected Body PartsHow to Pamper Your Most Neglected Body PartsHow to Pamper Your Most Neglected Body PartsHow to Pamper Your Most Neglected Body Parts
Avoid breakouts, rough, dry skin and more with these easy skin care tips.
What Causes Cellulite?
What Causes Cellulite?