Skin Care

What does "hypoallergenic" mean?

• ADr. Lisa Knust, MD, Family Medicine, answered on behalf of Riverside Primary Care Physicians
    Hypoallergenic means that it is less likely to cause a reaction or an allergy. 
  • ADr. Mehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology (Cardiovascular Disease), answered
    The term "hypoallergenic" is often used with a variety of skin care products. Typically, these products are less likely to cause allergic reactions.

• Hypoallergenic indicates that a product is less likely to cause allergic reactions. This term was originally invented in reference to cosmetics but has also been used in reference to jewelry and animals.
What should I look for on the labels of my makeup?