What should I do if I find a mole on my skin?

Arthur W. Perry, MD
Plastic Surgery
If you have a funny-looking mole, you should see a dermatologist, plastic surgeon, or a family doctor to be sure yours is ok. If you're like everyone else, you probably have a few dozen moles on your body.  Of course, you're not going to have them all removed, but docs get concerned with ones that are wider than a pencil eraser and those that have irregular borders. And if they have more than one color and seem to be sending out little tentacles out into the skin, or they itch or bleed, you need to have those looked at. If you're over 40 and develop a new mole, that one also needs to be checked out. And if they're blue, get those looked at.

Continue Learning about Skin Care

Are Your Personal Care Products Putting Your Kids at Risk
The first baby shampoo debuted in the 1950s. Johnson & Johnson marketed the product with the slogan “no more tears.” Decades later, it turned out ther...
Does excessive sweating (hyperhidrosis) get better on its own?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
Symptoms of palmar hyperhidrosis tend to develop in adolescence or early adulthood. Once symptoms oc...
How to Pamper Your Most Neglected Body Parts
How to Pamper Your Most Neglected Body PartsHow to Pamper Your Most Neglected Body PartsHow to Pamper Your Most Neglected Body PartsHow to Pamper Your Most Neglected Body Parts
Avoid breakouts, rough, dry skin and more with these easy skin care tips.
How Can I Look Younger Naturally?
How Can I Look Younger Naturally?